I really don't get why more people don't write about their first times. Seriously I'd love to read some of your first times. The thrill, excitement and the tiny bit of hesitation that runs rampant through your mind makes it so delicious to live through. I mean, don't you wish you could relive it again? I know sometimes it can be less than ideal. But hey! It's a milestone in your life.
That's basically why I thought that I'd share mine with you.
(Sorry, I accidentally hit the publish button instead of the save draft button this should be updated in an hour or so check back again then)
It basically happened in late 2006. I had recently quit pursuing my BBA due to reasons which keep getting mentioned on this blog. First job stress and all was pretty much ruling my life. It was a time of change in my life.
One fine day I was basically lounging around at home and suddenly my phone rang. It was a friend from my school days. She asked me to turn onto a specific channel.
Since I didn't remember which number said channel appeared on, I started surfing.
Randomly or maybe it was fate that I stopped on this weird channel showing some really weird monsters. (Be patient I'm getting to the juicy bits)

Now being a fan of crappy sci-fi effects I stopped. Screw whatever channel I was supposed to check out, I'll find out what this is.
Now before I continue, how many of you have seen Knight Rider, MacGuyver or The A-Team. They had good stories, even if their effects were lacking. You didn't need CGI Dragons or fancy effects just to make people love the show. It was all about the story progression. It's watching a car drive itself, a man solve a problem just through observation or even four guys use a scrapyard to make the most amazing contraption to get out of their latest predicament.
Back to the story.
Turns out this blonde woman said something to these nasty monsters, and they are laughing at her.
And this guy is using an HP Ipaq to translate what the monsters are saying. I say to myself, "This is interesting, let's see what happens next"
Then all logic goes out of the window and they start speaking in English! The blonde woman is standing in front of a blue telephone booth. It sticks out like a sore thumb in the otherwise rocky organic set. And the box opens and this guy steps out in his PJs and bathrobe. This is getting stupid.
Apparently this guy is the comic relief or something, because the tense atmosphere just vanished. I have half a mind of changing the channel, but I don't. He explains his absence as him needing tea. This is definitely a British show, or they are trying to be British. And he keeps talking. And makes fun of the monster.
So, he's smart, and somehow, the story progresses to them sword fighting. For the fate of the Earth from what I've gathered.
Turns out, what I thought was supposed to be an underground alien planet or something is floating above a city. Then the weird alien chops off funny guy's hand! What the hell! I was beginning to like funny guy.
And he grows it back! What the fuck is happening?!?
The new hand lets him defeat the monster and win. This did not make any sense to me. As if the people who made the show were reading my thoughts, the story turned more absurd. In the bathrobe is an orange for some reason. While the blonde and funny guy discuss why there is an orange in the pocket, the monster, who admitted his defeat tries to stab funny guy in the back. Funny guy takes throws the orange and the floor gives way under the bad guy and he falls.
Ohhhh.. so it's a floating spaceship!
And they killed it. The humans killed it!
All in all, it was a fun half of a show.
So there you have it. The first time I ever saw Doctor Who. Anyone who thought this post was about something else, get your mind out of the gutter (albeit I was the one who put it there for you in the first place – your punishment for being gullible; a comment)
A few months later, I found out what that show was called. And ever since then, I've been a fan.
For anyone who thinks it's just another nerdy show aimed at kids and losers - and I have come across the type - this isn't just a show, it's a culture, rich in lore and brilliant story telling. And 50 years and running, this show has to be something good for that to happen.
If you're into good stories and plot twists, this is worth watching. Sure you won't be able to catch up from the very first episode back in 1963. But starting from the 2005 series is a good bet. You won't be missing out on much.
3 comments :
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Doctor Who!.. You say its a culture - I say its..freakin'.. I don't even know man, words can't describe the sheer epicness. And the 50th episode was HUGE here in the UK, they played it in theatres and everything ^_^
@Syed Aun Muhammad: Hey, I'm just doing my job to educate the masses on what an amazing show they're missing out on.
@Roshni: I loved the 50th. And The Doctor is always epic. If he isn't it's probably because the show's building up to some mind-numbing head-exploding brilliant plot-twist that would make people go berserk. And I am jealous of every Whovian who got to see the 50th in 3D (Possibly the only time I'd spend money for a 3D ticket)
Post a Comment