Friday, August 10, 2012

Of Birthday Celebrations

This isn’t another post about how pathetic my birthdays go. I guess we have clearly established that.

What I want to talk about today is the way certain people perceive birthdays to be.

Yes, I am talking about the people who see birthdays as getting one year closer to death. These people are usually religious and/or believe in fate. For them, it is fixed when you will die. So naturally, they treat birthdays as a countdown…to DEATH.

Unfortunately, neither I nor any of my friends have a family such as the one I mentioned, so I am going to imagine a scenario as to how birthdays would go in a family such as that.

It would be a very depressing birthday. Every time someone would wish the kid a happy birthday, like clockwork the mother would start to cry. The father would look sorrowful. Utterly Depressing.

Now, in case you want to try this out with your kid, I have a few suggestions as to what you can get him/her as a present.

  • A plot in the best graveyard you can afford. (It’s still real-estate.)
  • Plant some nice trees next to said plot.
  • Give away all his savings to charity (securing his ticket in heaven.)
  • A trip by train to where-ever your religion permits you to make a pilgrimage to.
  • A goat, cow, or camel to be sacrificed and the meat distributed to the poor.

You could also play fun games like “Lets-Meet-All-Your-Relatives” where you go to each relatives house and tearfully proclaim that your kid has one year less to live or “Who-cries-last” where someone puts happy birthday on loop, and you all listen to it.


Seriously, to all the parents who refuse to celebrate their kids birthdays because it’s a celebration of being closer to death, you guys are idiots. With the level of crime and over all uncertainty of life that is increasing day by day, you should be celebrating life.

No comments :