Monday, August 19, 2013

Of Escaping Reality

This isn’t a post about drug abuse.

I wish it was, that way I’d be cool. Which is unlikely

It doesn’t take a rocket-scientist to realise that I am quite socially awkward. And my obsession with geeky fandoms doesn’t make things any better.

Look, how do you expect me to be popular when all my conversations have some sort of vague reference to some TV show or comic book.

Statements like “Don’t Blink!” or “I can see your thought bubbles” are met with confusion.

So, I decided to make something for myself. Something I could escape in. Thus began the T.A.R.D.I.S Project.

Let me know if I made any sense up till now.

STEP 1:

Design the entire bloody thing in SolidWorks.

Untitled

The model has two different colours due to the fact that I am using wood of two different thicknesses. 2.7mm and 1.3mm.

The other reason for designing it in SolidWorks is that rather than measure everything and sketch the parts on wood – thus increasing human error, A simple printout stuck to the surface ensures all my dimensions are correct and proportional.

The third reason? I want to be able to brag to people in uni that I have mastered SolidWorks to a certain extent.

STEP 2:

Cut pieces of wood.

2013-08-18 00.11.20

This took a while. The pieces needed to be cut using a scalpel. Precise strokes were needed to keep wood from splitting. The wood in question is Balsa. Light weight, rigid and mouldable.

STEP 3:

T.A.R.D.I.S. Assemble

2013-08-29 20.25.50

Joining everything with PVC Glue, followed by last minute sanding and detailing

STEP 4:

Painting

2013-09-02 08.01.292013-08-31 22.18.56

Acrylic Paint, with light sanding between coats to ensure a levelled finish

STEP 5:

The Light

2013-09-01 18.38.13

Used a Glue Gun Refill – cut to size, and modelling wire to hold everything in place.

STEP 6:

Decal Duty

2013-09-15 22.26.40

High resolution images scaled down (I forgot the dimensions so I checked my SolidWorks design for them) to fit directly onto the panels.

STEP 7:

DONE!

(At the time of posting, the T.A.R.D.I.S. lacks the necessary circuitry to make the light glow in true T.A.R.D.I.S. fashion. I’ll replace this text once I source the parts needed.)

And there you have it. My amazing T.A.R.D.I.S.

4 comments :

Roshni said...

Thats pretty neat. Doctor would be proud! -n0d-

The Me. said...

That looks perfect.

Furree Katt said...

DUUUUDEEEEE that is so cool!!!!

Something said...

@All
Thank You! You guys are the best!