…Tick tock, on the clock…
…But the party don’t stop…
…Woah-oh oh oh…
…Woah-oh oh oh…NO WAY!
Tom-foolery aside. this has got to be one of the most awesome posts I’ll ever do in a while.
Second semester at uni came with a course called Digital Logic. We learnt about pre-computer generation parts. Gigantic chips that when combined in the right order would tell you if your answer matches with the answer key, or you could even make a calculator that only adds numbers together and gives you a sum. Such stuff.
Each course this semester required us to make a project for it. For logic people made counters, traffic lights, alarms, and other basic shit.
I proposed I’d make a clock. A decent AM/PM clock. With an alarm. Since I reasoned, that once these people made their useless counters and alarms, few would have to foresight to integrate it into their everyday lives. Hence I told the prof I’ll make a clock.
I had no idea the shit I got myself in.
(Below this line things might get technical, still I’ll try and keep them simple for most of you)
- The 555 circuit I made to drive the clock’s seconds kept speeding up for some unknown reason. so in 5 minutes it would be counting 30 seconds for every real second. in ten minutes the minute display would turn into the new second display.
- The 7490 and 7492s I used to count the seconds, minutes and hours were retarded. Theoretically one poke means one count. They would either ignore a poke or count it as 5 like there was some sort of animosity between them and the 555.
- No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get the hours to move. even though I made simple double-delay poke thingy that would reset the hours from 12 to 1 instead of the normal zero.
- Since the hours weren’t resetting I couldn’t toggle the AM/PM light, which worked beautifully.
- And various glitches involving AND gates, negative feedback and god knows what else.
| Sheet #2 | Sheet #1 |
| Sheet #4 | Sheet #3 |
Sheet Two. Soon as the hours turn 13, it switches back to zero in an instant. The pulse that resets the clock also gets delayed and hits the count pin of the 7493 advancing it to 1. So in a fraction of a second, 12:59:59 turns to 0:00:00 to 1:00:00. I connected the reset clock pulse to the clock-pin of the edge triggered flip-flop which toggles AM/PM lights.
Sheet 3 is just the alarm logic. Each 10’s of Hours, Hour, 10’s of Minutes, and Minute is basically a Binary Coded Decimal (BCD – No I’m not making this up) The purpose of the circuit on this sheet is to check if a certain pattern is present and to eliminate the possibilities of it finding other patterns, When all 4 patterns match…
Sheet 4. A pull-up resistor (or a transistor) will power the two 555s in tandem create a two tone frequency that is used as an alarm.
Overall, it took me a day to fix all my problems and get it to work on breadboards.
Oh, and it got the first prize in the Second Semester Hardware Contest. Wooo!
8 comments :
This is SO COOL that I almost didn't get it :P
No worries. You try explaining supply-demand graphs to me using everyday pakistani examples and we'll be even. :D
(though supply-demand graphs won't have flashy lights in them)
Lol. We cannot be even. I'm not an economics person. I'm pretty much a science person. Just never into Physics that much. Attention: I said that I 'almost' didn't get it!
:-D
Not really. Most BBA-brats I've met can't explain SD graphs. They just know one thing: Supply and Demand are inversely proportional. THE END. So, even if you try explaining it, it's ultra rare you'd succeed.
Lets talk about the weather. =)
My Clock was on 2 Breadboards. tralalalalala.
And my mom threw it out last year :<
Just cause you're the paddle doesn't mean you have to be mean too. I made it on a grassroots level. Yours didn't even work properly if I remember.
It died 5 mins before the presentation :p
Exactly.
Post a Comment