Friday, August 14, 2009

Of 62 Years of Steady Decline.



Pakistan's 62nd Birthday started off with a BANG!

followed by a tak-tak-tak-tak-tak-tak-tak-tak-tak-tak-tak-tak

then a fwoooooosshhhhhhh-BOOM!

then a wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-tharrrrrrrrrrrtharrrrr
______________________________

Yeah we celebrate our independence by doing the same things that keep happening in our city on a regular basis.

Karachi is dangerous. All year round bombs explode at various places. If the terrorists (I call them the Karachi Excitement Squad) don't have a bomb, they'll call in a bomb scare. Your politically attuned (or not) thugs need a reason to fire their guns. Hell, even when someone's being wedded, people fire guns either to display joy, or resentment (watch old punjabi movies)

And firecrackers are a nuisance. Most of the firecrackers that exploded last night, I could only hear them, no colored lights blanketing the sky or anything like that (I didn't really bother going on my roof and checking it out since the bullets that these idiots previously fired in the air were now bouncing off my roof.) Honestly, what do these people think? Do they think that the laws of physics don't apply? If you fire a bullet it'll go out in space and never come back? That it'll probably hit any aliens trying to invade Pakistan and they end up crashing in America (Since that's what usually happens in movies - click here to find out what would happen if Aliens landed in Pakistan)

Today, people celebrated the independence in a very interesting way. You could see little kids playing cricket on the streets like any other day, except they were holding the Pakistani Flag, which was thrown down as soon as someone made a run. The huge ass flag that the neighbors had put in the spirit of patriotism a week ago, was now covered in pigeon poop and torn from different places (most likely by birds trying to renovate their nests.)

We don't bother with celebrating Independence Day. Because, if we did, we can be sure that the Karachi Excitement Squad would have planned something wonderful for us. How the hell can we be proud Pakistanis? We have been deemed not only a terrorist nation but even a failure as a nation itself. That is because when we do get a leader worthy of leading mindless idiots like us, we first remove everything he possesses that makes him different from the idiots he replaced, and when he finally does that, we realize the mistake we made and try to cover our asses by rioting and asking for a new leader.

We may call ourselves independent, but are we truly free? The Government banned Star Plus and there was an outright riot amongst the cable viewing population some time ago. Not to mention that at weddings I never knew it was a Muslim tradition to break open a coconut at the doorway, or to kick a cup of rice while entering the doorway, yet people do it.

And, I may be cynical, and I may point out the negative. But at least I'm not blind and clinging to false hope. So if you are going to tell me that my views on this entire matter suck, please shove it.

1 comment :

Xeb said...

I was out for dinner and on returning to my house tonight when I realized that there were NO lights up around the city. I remember when we were younger my parents used to take me and my brother out on 14th August to drive around the city and see the sparkling lights. And we would often get stuck in miles of traffic full of dancing people and men out on motorbikes waving flags by the dozen. This year, I noticed there was not a single house on my way home with lights on it. I figure maybe its because people are afraid if they put lights on in their house it'll act like a red flag for prospective thieves... :(