Thursday, July 16, 2009

Of Decisions Made in Desperation

I'm in a dilemma.

I've got a perfectly functional phone with me.

However, dad struck a deal with a friend of his, and managed to acquire a Nokia 7610. Now, since it's too high-tech for his basic needs, he decides to give it to his techno-geek of a son. But that's not the half of it.

Firstly let me explain how this new cell-phone was acquired. Dad's friend wanted a new cell. Friend's brother living in the U.K. wants to send new cell to friend. Dad offers to get it for friend via one of his other friends coming back from the U.K. So in a nutshell, he gets a new phone, with it's software disc, data cable, battery, charger, a memory card, and a wireless handsfree. What he gave us was the phone, it's battery, and a charger. Heck even that tiny little tray that holds the SIM down was missing.

Now, if I chose to take that phone, I relinquish my rights to my current one.

Lets make a list of Pros and Cons to see whether I should trade in, or shouldn't
+ It's got expandable memory.
+ I can use it to bludgeon people once I attach the neck strap on it.
- The camera lens is foggy
- The camera has one 1MP
+ The camera gives a 4x digital zoom on 1MP
- The battery lasts barely a day
+ I'll get the expandable memory for free
+ I'll get the data cable for free
- It's interface is the slowest I've encounterd
- The keypad is fucked up. Why couldn't they keep it in rows and columns.
+ I can type out SMSes on my laptop and send them via the phone.
- I can only type out SMSes on my laptop and send them via the phone without screwing up, or pressing the wrong button or canceling the entire thing.
- And I don't know how how much or how little the last guy used it.
- There are no decent applications for it.
-- I can't reuse the pink bear sticker I have on my current cell.


So. Final Tally:
Pros: 6 Cons: 10
Verdict:
Sister gets the phone. I keep my precious.

P.S. The Pink Bear is important. Not only does it serve as a conversation started, it was given to me by a dear friend.
P.S.2. Yes, I'm aware of the fact that I'm a guy who owns a phone with a pink bear sticker on it.
P.S.3. The title is an homage to another friend of mine.

No comments :